It was on January 25, 1920, that three adults and two children from the community of Mimico, Ontario, along with two guests from High Park Baptist Church in Toronto, met and decided to begin a Baptist work in Mimico. On May 21, 1920 the Baptist Mission in Mimico was recognized by the Baptist Convention of Ontario and Quebec. December 29, 1920, the Mission meeting in rented facilities on Mimico Avenue, was officially organized in to a church.
It was on October 15, 1922 that Mr. John Ryrie (taking the place of Samuel J. Moore) laid the corner stone for the new Mimico Baptist church. On March 11, 1923 the first service was held in the new building of the Mimico Baptist Church.
Our Pastor – Rev. Jim Sanderson
Rev. Jim Sanderson has been our pastor here since December 1994. He came here with his wife Jennifer from Beachville (Pastor Beachville Baptist) and First Baptist Church, Ingersoll (Associate Pastor). They have since been blessed with three children all born in Mimico.
Jim gives a brief story of his life:
- Raised in Toronto and Oakville as the second oldest child in a family with seven children.
- Sent to church by parents – came to faith in Sunday school. (Lynbrook Gospel Chapel – Oakville)
- Began to deepen faith and pursue ministry opportunities as a teenager. (Toronto)
- Was baptized in 1974 age 16 at Fallingbrook Heights Baptist Church.
- Worked for a few years after high school (Greavette boats in Gravenhurst and later at an architects firm in Toronto)
- Spent 4 years at Sheridan College preparing for a career in commercial art. Graduated from 2 programs)
- God prepared me during this time for ministry and gave me an desire to serve him.
- My first job after Art College was with Inter-Varsity Christian fellowship as an artist and a community, college missionary. This was for one year.
- For three years was the Executive Director of TeenVision, a Toronto based ministry to young offenders and troubled youth.
- Enrolled 1986 at OTS for ministry training. Graduated 1988 – MTS, 1989 – MDIV.(O.T.S Ont.Theological.Sem. now – Tyndale College and Seminary)
- Served Beachville Baptist and FBC Ingersoll 1989 – 1994.
- God has been very gracious; and looking back I can sense very strongly the hand of God gently leading and guiding my life. My family and I are excited to be in Mimico and love our community – we have many wonderful friends here and we have become strongly involved in community life.
Contact me at email@example.com.
We are blessed with a paid-for facility in an ideal location. The parsonage is located next to the church building. We are in the midst of a residential community with a large park across the road, a community school and a large public school right beside us. In this strategic area of high people traffic. We have recently completed major renovations to make our ministries, community programs and facility accessible.